Monday, 14 January 2013

The start ...

Although my fifty first year doesn’t start until April 2013 I decided to get my Fifty Firsts up and running at the start of the new year, but I guess I should back track slightly just in case there’s anyone out there reading this who doesn’t know what I’m talking about. 

I decided to mark my big birthday this year by doing fifty things for the first time before my fifty first year is up.  So between April 6th 2013 and April 5th 2014 (technically I have until about 22:30 that night) I aim to do fifty things for the first time.  I’m not really sure when the idea came to me, some time last summer I think.  Anyway, it seemed like a good idea and as I mulled it over I began to think of things I could put on the list.  Obviously, having been an ardent Liverpool fan for a substantial part of those fifty years, but never having made it to Anfield, a match and stadium tour were the first to be included.  After that came the idea of doing things that I’ve spent a large part of my life avoiding to overcome some irrational fears.  Heights and spiders are top of that particular list so skydiving and holding a tarantula (I can’t believe I’m seriously contemplating either of those things in all honesty!) have also got to be ticked off.
 
Somewhere along the line I mentioned the idea of doing fifty firsts to my daughters, who were all enthusiastic about it and determined to get involved.  The main problem was trying to come up with fifty things I had never done before that were realistically achievable, hence the idea of getting others involved. 

So back to where I started, at the beginning of January when Alison’s Fifty Firsts joined Facebook and Twitter, because I need your help.  Follow me on Twitter or take a look at the Facebook page.  Please make suggestions for things I could do or like individual suggestions to ‘vote’ for what should be on the list – the fifty things with the most likes will be the things I’m going to do.  Once my year kicks off in April, you’ll be able to follow my progress as I work my way through the list and include photographic or video proof!  In the meantime I’ll be documenting my reactions to your suggestions and adding some ideas of my own for things I’d like to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment