So it’s been a bit quiet for the
last couple of weeks in terms of updating my Fifty Firsts on various social media – that
thing called work seems to have a habit of getting in the way! Anyway ideas for the fifty things so far includes:
Skydiving
Holding a tarantula
Visiting Anfield
Yes I know, I mentioned those last
time, but there are some more to add …
Having a tattoo – now I’ve always
been dead against these and have rarely seen one that I liked, but over the
past few years I've occasionally thought that if I ever had one done then maybe
it would be the Chinese sign for rabbit, seeing as I was born in the year of
the rabbit. However, these were fleeting
thoughts and my dislike for tattoos prevails, I mean if you don’t like them
they’re not the easiest thing in the world to get rid of. And then where would you have one – somewhere
obvious that may constrain what you can wear or somewhere unobtrusive so that
no one would know you even had a tattoo, in which case, what’s the point? Anyway, my daughter came up with a better
idea than Chinese rabbits – a number, but not just any number, the number of
people who vote for me to get a tattoo.
Joining an on-line dating agency –
the thought makes me cringe, but I suppose you never know, perhaps I’ll finally
meet that someone special who seems to have evaded me all my life!
Running a marathon – the London
Marathon is the obvious choice, but I’m not sure I could get all that training
done in time and it’s a couple of years since I’ve done any running and a good
few years since I’ve run any distance, so maybe the Great North Run
instead?? More time to train and not so
far to run, surely that’s not a cop out, is it?
Karaoke – now I know this seems like
a particularly lame suggestion, but seriously I have never done karaoke
before. The thought of getting up in
front of loads of people and singing, on my own, is equally as scary as holding
a tarantula to me. I usually prefer to
keep out of the limelight and avoid attention, so this would be a real
challenge and would definitely require the use of some Dutch courage!
Taking part in the annual Folkestone
Boxing Day dip – run down the beach into the sea, splash about a bit and then
run back up the beach to get warm and dry, what could be simpler? Now there’s probably more to it than that,
but in any case, for me the hard part would be my pathetically useless
circulatory system, which has been known to result in shivering if I’m caught
in the shade during a rare August heatwave.
Back in the 1970s, my secondary school was lucky (and I use that word
dubiously) enough to have its own outdoor swimming pool for PE lessons – 3 ft
at either end and 9 ft in the middle, how did that seem like a good idea? After 40 minutes in there I had to enlist the
help of friends to get dressed again as my fingers were so numb I couldn’t move
them, never mind do up my shirt buttons!
Well that’s 8 suggestions so far,
only another 42 to go! See I really do
need your help!
Now, what are the chances of
persuading the Top Gear team to let me drive round their track …
No comments:
Post a Comment