Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Half way there???


This week I’ve begun to think about which of my fifty things, not that I’ve got a full list yet by any stretch of the imagination – currently it stands at about 25 possibilities, so only half way there!  Some of the ‘bigger’ adventures, such as ice skating and skydiving, will probably be done during holidays, whilst I’m hoping it might be possible to squeeze some of the smaller ones in during weekends or maybe evenings, like pulling a pint of Guinness and then drinking it.

Ice skating is going to be one of the first to tick off as I’m planning to do that in early April.  It seemed like a good idea to kick off with something fun and energetic, but I must admit the thought occurred to me that maybe it ought to be one of the last on the list, just in case I fall and break something … and I’m not talking about the ice!  I think it’s highly likely that there’ll be a fall, which of course will make for good video footage to upload to Facebook and Twitter and could even earn me a few pennies if I’m lucky, but there’s always the chance that I’ll end up in plaster.  Now that may not be as bad as it sounds, because I’ve never actually broken a bone before – dislocated a hip (although that was at birth, so I didn’t really know anything about it), cracked my elbow and the usual bumps and bruises, but no actual breaks that needed to be immobilised in plaster and no stitches either.  So ice skating has the potential for more than one first, but any major trauma could impact on my ability to carry out the rest of my fifty things, certainly for a few weeks.  Anyway, I’m sure it won’t come to that, it’ll most likely be a case of bruised ego and plenty for everyone else to laugh at!

Sky diving is probably going to wait until the summer – more time to rack up some serious sponsorship and hopefully better weather.  I mean, who wants to hurtle towards the earth in anything other than warm sunshine?  The half marathon will also be later in the year – mainly because I haven’t started any kind of training yet!  I used to bounce out of bed at 5:30 or 6:00 am and go for a run before going to work, but not so much on cold mornings.  Hopefully by next month it’ll be mild enough to tempt me out from under the duvet!

Having a tattoo needs quite careful timing so as to have minimal impact on my blood donating, so it’s likely to be at short notice after I’ve been to give blood.  Not a very interesting number to be tattooed on me yet – I think only about 4 people have liked this suggestion!  I’ve yet to decide where to have the number – maybe up the inside of my wrist?  I can’t decide whether to go for the blatantly obvious or unobtrusive approach and is there anywhere that hurts less/more?  I guess once I’ve had the tattoo I’ll have a better idea of that one!

So four weeks to go until I start my fifty firsts, perhaps it’s time for a recap of the list of suggestions so far:

Hold a tarantula
Eat snails
Ice skating
Skydiving
Visit Anfield
Watch a strip show (hot men only!)
Drive a tractor
Clay pigeon shooting
Eat oysters
Pull a pint
Karaoke
Drink a pint of Guinness
Get a tattoo
Go to the opera
Hold a snake round my neck
Run a half marathon
Take a dance class
Use the machines at the gym instead of just going to a class
Go on the London Eye
Indoor climbing
Tree jumping
Fly in a helicopter
Be in a TV audience
A day at the races
Be an extra in a film or TV show
Folkestone’s Boxing Day Dip


Add a few more and then finally …

Celebrate completing 50 firsts with a party in April 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment