Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Doubles, trebles and chains

Only a couple of days to go now till my first big event of the 'fifty firsts'.  The weather's looking good - warm, sunny, clear visibility and no more than a slight breeze at most.  My skydive is virtually guaranteed to go ahead then, and the money is still coming in: £449.25 without gift aid, but if there's anyone out there who also wants to contribute ... 

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AlisonForsyth1

I'm actually really looking forward to it.  I mean I guess I'll be a bit nervous or scared on the day, but I'm sure I'll be like a toddler when I get back down to earth - 'Again!  Again!'

This week I have added a couple more firsts.  To begin with I've learnt to crochet.  So what, you might be thinking and you're probably right, because to be honest, what I've actually achieved is mainly making a chain and creating a few slip stitches, which are essentially a chain.  Not quite so impressive now, is it?  Well, I'm selling myself a little short really, because I have progressed on to about four rows of double crochet and two rows of treble crochet, although I haven't actually crocheted anything specific, just some 'practice'.  I bet there's people out there who, if they read this, would be thinking 'Oh please!  Really?  You call that mastering crochet?  My cat could do better and make a cradle whilst snoozing in the sun under the hedge and keeping half an eye on the birds in next door's garden!'  And they'd probably be right.  But to me it's a big deal - I've tried to learn before but never got further than the chain part of the proceedings, which has been quite hard to deal with, as I'm a proficient knitter, sewer, embroiderer, cross stitch maker and tapestrist (is that even a word?) so have always had high expectations that crochet would be quite easy to pick up.  Well, the part where I got hold of the wool with one hand and the crochet hook with the other was fine, it was doing something with them, other than putting them down, that was the tricky bit.  Of course in my defence, I should point out that the last time I actually tried to crochet was when I was about ten, so perhaps my failure was more to do with fine motor skills and cognitive functioning not being fully developed.  The question now is whether or not I actually have to make a specific something, you know like a tea cosy or pot cover, to claim to have mastered crocheting?  I've tried canvassing opinion locally and that seems to indicate that I should produce some kind of finished article, so it seems I'll have to persevere a while longer before claiming this as a first.  

As for my other first, I think I'll save that for another day.  I need to psych myself up for admitting to this one!  Now that's got you wondering ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment