So a couple of weeks ago I bought a ticket for the EuroMillions. Nothing unusual in that I suppose, except up until that point I'd been a EuroMillions virgin. I'd bought the odd National Lottery ticket now and again, but I've never been the sort of person who wins raffle prizes willy nilly, so in all honesty I'd always thought it a waste of time and money. But the EuroMillions, well it was a slightly different story. For starters, there's way more money at stake and in any case, it was another of the fifty things to tick off my list. So I waited till there was a sizeable amount up for grabs, not because I'm materialistic and greedy, but the more you win the more good you can do with it and still have some left over for a few treats. Top of the wish list would definitely be a season ticket at Anfield!
Anyway, back to the lottery ticket. How do people go about choosing their numbers? For some it's about meaningful dates, such as birthdays, whilst for others it's purely random, either chosen by them or a lucky dip by computer. Me? Well, on my rare forays into such territory, I like to 'feel' the numbers. I've always had an uncanny ability to predict the sex of an unborn child with 90% plus accuracy, but to be fair, it is a fifty-fifty choice and not as many random combinations! But a little help is always useful, so I consulted the world of astrology to shed some light on my lucky numbers. Now according to my book of Aries horoscope 2013, which is quite clearly, for any of you doubters out there, the oracle of truth, my ruling planet is the moon. Yes, I know, I've already run into some trouble here, because despite my scientific career amounting to no more than a C grade for O Level Physical science, even I know the moon isn't a planet, but let's just go with the flow, shall we? OK, so far so good, I have a ruling planet, which I should point out is only for this current year. You work out what it is by adding up the individual letter scores for your name, in a Scrabble style way but without the double or triple squares, and then adding the total to the digits of the year, before repeatedly adding the digits of the final total together until you get a single digit that represents your ruling planet. Did you follow that? For me this is 2, aka the moon - simple and completely scientific (the method, not me)! The next step is to read through a load of waffle about what the moon is going to do for you in 2013, before stumbling across your lucky numbers at the bottom of the page, in my case: 2, 11, 20, 29 and 38. Excellent, these numbers, which have the common factor of being either bigger or smaller than the next or previous number in the series by nine (is that significant?) then become my five numbers for the EuroMillions ticket, leaving me just the two lucky stars numbers to pick. At this point I resorted to the methods employed by other people and picked one significant date, my birthday, and one number at random, which happened to be eight.
I was quite excited by the prospect of my bank account swelling by several millions, after all, what could go wrong? There was a pattern to my main numbers and when I filled out the sheet with my choices before buying the ticket, they moved diagonally down the paper like a short flight of stairs; it must have been some kind of omen! I didn't want to tempt fate, so waited until late at night before checking the winning numbers. And this is where my plan began to fall apart, and I can only put it down to beginner's luck, because I didn't win. Nothing, not a single penny, I think one of my numbers came up, but that was it. So my first ever ticket for the EuroMillions draw was completely unsuccessful, which was a shame, because if I'd won I could have crossed two things off my list of fifty firsts - buying a ticket and becoming a millionaire!
So it was not to be, I'm afraid, but there is a post script to add to this story. I went back to the book of everything Aries, looking for answers and I think I've found them! When reading about how my ruling planet for 2013 is going to help me out, I neglected to take on board what it said about improving my luck. I know! How ridiculous is that? You'd have thought I'd have wanted to maximise my chances by doing it properly, wouldn't you! Anyway, I discovered that first of all July is going to fulfil some of my dreams - I bought the ticket in June, which was clearly my first mistake, and I'm glossing over the 'some' part of that sentence. Then my second mistake - Mondays are going to be luckiest for me: I bought my ticket on a Tuesday, typical, one day too late, but a month early! Thirdly, I'm going to be particularly fortunate between midnight and 1 am, 7 and 8 am, 2 and 3 pm and 9 and 10 pm. So wrong month, wrong day and wrong time, because I bought my ticket at about 6:30 pm, hence why I didn't win of course. But, it doesn't quite end there. As I said, winning would also be a first, so I figure that means I can try again and as luck would have it, when I checked those lucky numbers, 2, 11, 20, 29 and 38, the only one that fell on a Monday in July was 29. So on Monday 29th July 2013, most probably between 2 and 3 pm, I shall be buying a ticket for the EuroMillions and this time I'll make sure that one of my lucky star numbers is 9. Now surely that can't fail, can it?
No comments:
Post a Comment